Monday, December 20, 2010

Here's my submission for the latest issue of Island Child. Enjoy Yummy Mummys!
Bringing Sexy Back A couple months ago, when I was still a working mom, it seemed everywhere I turned I was hearing people talk about a “work-life balance.” Now that I’m a stay-at-home mom on my mat leave, I am more concerned with a mom-hot lady balance. I love being at home with the kids, I really do. I mean, I’m only 3 months into this year long mat stint but the bloom is still fully on the rose. The kids and I have a blast at play groups, on walks to the park, or cranking some tunes at home and staying in our jammies all day. But, there are some days, when I lurk out of bed, stare at my closet and think, “What’s the point?” What point is there to carefully selecting my most adorable outfit if it’s only going to get puked on? What point is there to plastering on my make-up if there is no one around to appreciate it? The point: self-preservation. When I was on my first Mat leave, over 3 years ago, I felt alone and isolated. I baked cookies and ate them all miserably in front of the TV. I rarely felt like I had time to shower and I never dressed nicely. As a result, I put on weight, had a bad attitude and barely left the house. Looking back, I probably had some symptoms of post-partum, but I really feel doing some things a bit differently could have made the world of difference. So this time around, I had a game plan. This time I am taking time for myself, making sure to shower and dress everyday (even if that means showering at night and laying my clothes out for the next day). I almost always put on my face now, and although I may not always have time for the best hair-do I have invested in some excellent hair bobbles and cute hats so I can at least fake it. (And if there’s some extra cash at the end of the month, mama’s getting her hair done!) I’ve donated or stored any clothes that “used to fit” and have picked up some flattering, comfy, cute clothes that make me feel good about getting up in the morning. Seems like such silly, easy things but they have given me the confidence to want to go out and do things outside the house. And heck, I look great doing it and isn’t that the point?

No comments:

Post a Comment