Sunday, April 1, 2012

What I'm REALLY Taking to Mexico

A few weeks ago I posted what I thought I would bring with me on my trip to Mexico.  Here is what I, after many hours of deliberation, will actually be brining:
First things first, I make a list of all the things I want to bring.  I make lists like what I think I might bring.  I make lots of lists, mentally and physically, until finally I take out my little purse notebook and write the list of the finalized outfits. I write each outfit out, down to what shoes I'll wear with it and how I will dress it up to go out at night.  Crazy?  Maybe, but I'm hoping it will cut down on my stress and overpacking.
I mentioned that I will be brining my gorge black one piece as it is chic and stays on well while I'm carting the kids around.  I also picked up this cute little tankini at Zellers for 25% off as I wanted to be able to tan my tum if I wanted to.  I think the colours are great and go with the rest of what I have packed.  The bottoms that really went with it were black but had little coloured ties on the hips.  Not flattering for a pear-shaped gal.  But, the bright top and black bottoms will help highlight my top and minimize my bottom.
How beautiful and quintessentially Mexican is this dress.  White eyelet is just so beautiful and this light little shift will go great over my suit for the beach/pool.
I got these great little Liz Claiborne aviators at a discount store and they are so great.  They have a pop of colour in the yellow earpieces and purple on the inside around the lenses but are otherwise neutral and will go with all my outfits.  I think I paid around $7.  Score!
How awesome is this great little dress I got a couple years ago from Winners (with a matching black shrug for around $8--it just needed some hooks and eyes to be re-sewn!).  It's tight up top and fans out at the bottom making my waist look so small.  I get tons of compliments when I wear it, so I thought why not?  I can casualize it with a braided leather belt and some sandals.  The turquoise is not coming out that great in the picture but it is very beautify and will go great with some chunky turquoise jewelry that I will hopefully be picking up there.
A braid-handled stripy beach bag.  Throw some crap in it and take off to the beach.  Matching scarf adds flair to the side and can double as a hair-tamer when you emerge from the waters and the wind hits that head of yours.
Don't forget workout wear!  If you want to take advantage of the free yoga lessons or just think you may want to go on an exercise-y excursion (hiking) then a sports bra and stretchy shorts or capris are a must.  ANd chances are you will have tons of Ts or tanks packed already to throw on with it.
This doesn't look like much in the picture but this floaty little blouse with nautical-theme buttons is great over your suit or over a tank with some pants.  Light and lovely.
The are light and functional and change the look of all your outfits: belts.  I'll take my dresses from day (brown leather skinny belt) to night (black jewel encrusted wide belt) with these babies!
Who sas flip flops (yes, even I wear these sometimes) can't be a bit major.  These comfy Sanuks (make from recycled yoga mats) are the thing to wear down to the pool.
Accessories make the outfit (as previously inferred with the belt comment) so pack a day bag, a beach bag, a town purse and a going out at night clutch (pictured above).
As I am packing I am checking off what I am putting in and highlighting what I still need to clean, find, buy, track down, etc.  Then when I find it, I pack it and check it off.
And like every good packer, I roll all my clothes to maximize the space in my suitcase and to save my clothes from wrinkles.  I wrap my shoes in plastic shopping bags because, let's be serious, those mf-ers are covered in germs.  Then I put my purses on top of that.  I wrap my sun glasses in my cotton tops so they (hopefully) don't get crushed.
The other side of my luggage I reserve for hats, makeup and toiletries.  But that's for another post...

Enjoy!
RW

No comments:

Post a Comment